Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Lord Sustains

Let no sorrow your pathway dim,
Nor tears becloud your view of Him;
Whate'er betide, He stays your friend,
Where'er you go, He will attend.

Do not despair; you're not forgot;
God knows your need, and lingers not,
To see you through, and then restore,
Like Job, your joy, full as before.

Count you not on human device,
When burdens crush, and seek their price;
Your Redeemer's ready to pay,
Whate'er it takes, each weary day.

Your eyes keep fixed on heaven's goal,
Of endless ages for your soul;
The hurts of life but briefly pain,
Make sweeter seem Zion's refrain.

Lift up your head; His praises sing;
He supplies needs of ev'rything;
Though Satan prey and buffet sore,
Your God sustains forevermore!

A few people believe that God made the world, put us in it, wound it up like an old mantel clock, and let it run by itself; He does not intervene in the affairs of men. Wrong! The Bible tells us clearly that God watches over His children, which are those who follow Jesus His Son.

I can personally vouch for this truth. I had quadruple bypass heart surgery in 1982 and almost died. Hours after the operation I was found to be bleeding internally. That same night they undid the stitches, opened my chest again, and patched whatever was leaking blood, but it took 81 units of donated blood, and I spent a week in ICU with the outcome in doubt. Fortunately, I had a lot of Christians praying to God in my behalf. What a wonderful thing for me to know lying with a large machine breathing for me! The waiting room was crowded with friends and ministers. A few days later, when God had turned the tide in my favor, my doctor said comfortingly, "I think I've given you 10 more years."
Ten more years? I'm not but 58; I plan to live 20 or 30 more years, or so I thought.

That was 26 years ago, I'm 83, which shows you what God can do for you if you love Jesus His Son, and ask Him. I was completely blind for 4 months this year, and according to two ophthalmologists I would never see again. WRONG! At 2 pm on August 18th, in a twinkling, my eyesight came back, and here I am, hunting, finding, and pecking the characters in this daily blog. Prayers to God of Christian friends convinced Him to give me back my sight, and you can "take it to the bank" that I'm not going to waste a minute of this precious gift looking at Oprah; I'm working for my God that has poured out His blessings on me!

"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)


No comments: