Monday, March 30, 2009

Through Worldly Eyes

I looked away, walking faster along,
When the scroungy beggar implored for bread;
His kind, on this street? He didn't belong----
He might rob, or molest, instead of beg!
I stopped askance, as my friend turned aside,
Gave bills to the outcast, with a big smile,
"Take this, and buy; it might your need provide;
Better days await, in a little while!"
We walked on; he answered my silent plea,
"Who knows, but that Jesus was here today,
In the guise of that hungry man, testing me?
He warned us, it might happen just that way!"
My friend saw in him Jesus in disguise,
While I saw a bum through my worldly eyes!

In the Parable of Sheep and Goats (Matthew 25:31-46), Jesus told His disciples a very imortant story. It is both a real prophecy and a parabolic description of the "Great White Throne" Judgment at the end of the world. It is really going to happen. Plus, it reveals a very clear description of what a person needs to do while living in order to be accepted into heaven. I imlore you to read the scripture for yourselves; there isn't enough space here to quote it. It will give you a definite thing you can do for salvation.

Everyone who has ever lived will be resurrected at the end of time and be gathered into an immense multitude before God (Jesus Christ). His angels will divide us into two separate groups. The "sheep" on His right will be welcomed into heaven, and the "goats" on His left will be condemned to hell. There will be surprised folks in each group. The surprised ones among the sheep thought they were destined for hell (for reasons they knew). They will ask Jesus, Why? He will say, You gave me food when I was hungry; water when I was thirsty; clothes when I was threadbare; you visited me when I was sick and in jail; etc. They will ask, When did we do these things? He will say, Inasmuch as you showed love to the poor, lame, and outcasts, you did it for me. Likewise. the surprised among the "goats", who thought they were sure to go to heaven, will be weeping and gnashing their teeth, and will ask Jesus, why? He will answer, Because you did not do it for the poor, lame, outcasts, you did not do it for me. "I never knew you!"

How can you remain in the love of Jesus? By a lifetime of responding to the hungry, thirsty, poor, unloved, outcast, down-amd-out; by never turning down a request for alms, no matter how you think he will spend it.

No comments: